19.5.05

LessNess-ism: Colorlessness

Do You ever wonder what life would be like without color? And is it really ironic that the most unique thing about my blog is the color that I use?

Ok, think about the last black and white movie you watched. No shades, no hues, just simple shades of black and white.
Now, imagine yourself living in that world.

Think about how different that would make life. Simple things like depth perception would be drastically different. Other things like lightning storms wouldn't be near as grand. And even the variety in the clothes (or uniforms) that we all wear everyday would all but disappear.
But on the other side, what would we notice that we hadn't before? How much more would our eyes pick up on form and design instead of worrying about garish colors? Wouldn't it be interesting, all the things you'd notice if you weren't constantly just looking at something to see it's color?
I don't know where this came from, but then, I felt like blogging something and some things just shouldn't be blogged about, so this is what you get instead :)

"But God I'm needing,
So hear me when I say
Come, oh come, come and have your way."
"Needing" by Foolish Things

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this book about a horse trainer who was completely color blind. I mean, he didn't just see some colors wrong, he saw only black and white. He has this amazing ability to communicate with animals through body language. One time he got the chance to gain the ability to see color by some corrective contacts, but when he put them in he didn't want them. He said that it was no wonder other people were so jumpy and distracted if that is how they all saw things. He believes that he could never have accomplished what he did if he could see in color.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, I forgot again. ~Amanda

2:25 PM  
Blogger incurable optimist said...

Arielle and I had a conversation somewhat like this last semester. Our question was: What if what I see as pink and call "pink", you see as what I see as blue, but you still call it "pink" because it is the hue you have associated with pink? Does that make any sense?

5:35 PM  
Blogger Foolish Thing Nine said...

Yeah it makes sense. It also makes color totally objective, which could make beauty objective, which you will learn in Great Ideas is a baaaaad baaaad thing... :)

7:43 PM  
Blogger incurable optimist said...

It's not just Great Ideas, we heard it in Econ and Wisdom Lit.

3:01 PM  
Blogger eyes.like.sapphires said...

i think you mean it would make it totally subjective...

3:22 PM  
Blogger Foolish Thing Nine said...

HAHA! Oops! Boy, do I feel sheepish... yeah, I mean totally subjective :)

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home